Thursday, July 5, 2012

Picking Apart "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic", Season 1 Episode 14

Suited for Success

We're halfway through the first season, and with the Grand Galloping Gala coming at the end, it seems only appropriate that this next episode begins the preparations for the main characters.

Oh, it looks like Rarity has a pet as well, a white Persian cat named Opalescence, but I'd say their relationship is kind of strained, as we'll see throughout the series.  I mean for one, Opal keeps getting unintentionally tossed around or just plain victimized during Rarity's work sessions as a start.  So it seems this next episode is gonna revolve around Rarity.

Spike: Beautiful...

The plot of the episode unfolds when Rarity decides to make dresses for her and her friends for the gala and host a fashion show with them.  Now this is like the first time since the pilot episodes that we see Rarity show signs of her generosity, by willing to put together all six dresses, but it is also the first time her generosity is apparently taken advantage of.  Ho, boy...  That's not a good thing.  Oh, and when Rarity sets to work, she sings her first solo of the series and I can't believe I'm saying this, but it's actually quite good.  Just listen.

[Rarity]
Thread by thread, stitching it together
Twilight's dress, cutting out the pattern snip by snip
Making sure the fabric folds nicely
It's the perfect color and so hip
Always gotta keep in mind my pacing
Making sure the clothes' correctly facing
I'm stitching Twilight's dress
Okay, so the song pays homage to Stephen Sondheim's song "Putting It Together" from the musical Sunday In the Park With George.  So maybe this song isn't entirely original, but it's still above mediocre anyway.

 
So Rarity finishes the dresses and brings her friends in to see them.  But guess what?

Twilight Sparkle: Wow... They're...
Rainbow Dash: Yeah, they're...
Applejack: They sure are... sumth'n.
Twilight Sparkle: Yes! Something.
Pinkie Pie: I love something! Something is my favorite!
Fluttershy: It's... nice.
*sigh* Anyone can tell that they're not being entirely truthful.  Even Rarity knows.  So she offers to improve them at no extra charge, although at this point, she begins to realize that her friends are beginning to take advantage of her.
But come on!  I saw nothing wrong with those original dresses to begin with.  I know there probably wouldn't be a plot otherwise, but I swear Rarity's friends seem to be rather picky about their fashion tastes.  Gimme a break.

So Rarity has Fluttershy try on her new dress, and...
Fluttershy: I... love it.
Rarity: Oh, you're just saying that.
See, Rarity can tell when someone's lying to be polite, so she all but forces Fluttershy to tell the truth, which she does.  And this leads to the others overworking Rarity, topped off with a lengthier reprise of the same song from before, only this time, the others have a singing line as well.

[Pinkie Pie]
All we ever want is indecision
[Rainbow Dash]
All we really like is what we know

[Twilight Sparkle]
Gotta balance style with adherence
[Fluttershy]
Making sure we make a good appearance
[Applejack]
Even if you simply have to fudge it

[All]
Make sure that it stays within our budget
[Rarity]
Got to overcome intimidation
Remember, it's all in the presentation!
The trouble is, Rarity's willingness to make things work has been completely taken advantage of.  Now, if anything, one of my own personal pet peeves is being taken advantage of for my personality.  What do I mean by that?  In short, don't go around taking advantage of others, that's what I mean.  It's mean.

Rainbow Dash: It needs to be about 20% cooler.

You need to be 20% nicer, you meanie!

So Rarity somehow manages to weave together the new dresses, but there are several hints that the original dresses were 20% better.  No wait, scratch that, 100% better!  Did you notice Opal for starters?  She liked the original dresses and she totally hates the new designs Rarity wasted her time with.  Also, Rarity even said herself...

Rarity: These are the ugliest dresses I've ever made.

Please tell me I'm not the person who sees that this episode is gonna go downhill from here.  I mean, of the six main characters, she's the fashion designer, so she knows what she's doing, right?  It seems to me that the other five just wouldn't know fashion if it bit their legs off.  Add on that they're not even shown to the viewers until the fashion show starts and...

...man!  They are awful!  Rarity knew this and she definitely wasn't sure of showing her monstrosities at her fashion show, especially not to the famous Hoity Toity from Canterlot.  So of course, her work gets no praise whatsoever (no surprise).

Pinkie Pie: I mean, duh, bo-ring!


Rarity cuts herself off from her friends, but they somehow manage to get her to see her own dress (never mind how they got into her room to do it when she locked herself in) that Fluttershy somehow managed to stitch together and she is ecstatic.  So she gets another chance from Hoity Toity and this time she shows off her original dresses and knocks his socks off!

Hoity Toity: Brilliant!

Twilight sums up her letter to Princess Celestia on the lesson learned, basically not to overlook something that someone pours heart and soul into and that trying to please some people ends up pleasing no one.

Now this is why I will, from here on in, refuse to take such suggestions on how to do my own personal work.  Original work such as my creations come from my own blood and sweat and since I have yet to release it publicly, I've never once had true opinions on it.  Everything I do is my own work and my own satisfaction, and I hope everyone learns not to be critical.  Oh, and of course, it doesn't help to lie either.  And I know the truth can hurt sometimes, but that doesn't mean someone has to keep coming up to me and saying my work suck 90% of the time.  So this episode turned out to be nothing short of meaningful.  Mediocre at most, but meaningful.  Oh, the song was at least good, but I could have done without the reprise.  And with that, I'm done!  Till the next episode!

No comments:

Post a Comment