Friday, August 24, 2012

Picking Apart "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic", Top 5 Worst Episodes

 
Ah, sorry, Twilight Sparkle, but I never have truly thought highly of this series to begin with.  I've always just had nothing more than an indifference.  I love the animation, make no mistake, but the show itself in personal opinion really could stand to use some improvement.  I pat you on the head and pray that it will because I would not want such stellar animation to be wasted.  Anyways, no worries, I don't expect this post will be all that bad.  So let's get this over with.

5.  Boast Busters
Well, for one, I pretty much already explained why I detest these certain episodes in the first place if you've read my previous posts.  While this episode's predecessor, "Griffon the Brush Off" was only nothing short of boring taking about one-third of the episode to get to the actual plot, "Boast Busters" is the first episode in the series that I truly despise, mainly because of repetitiveness coming from "the great and powerful Trixie".  God help me.  Fun fact, though.  All these episodes that I'm mentioning all happen after the next one, so it makes it seem like the series is getting progressively worse.  But mind you, this is only based on the first two seasons.  Season 3 could be even worse... or better, I hope.

4.  Over a Barrel
I can't stress this one enough.  Buffaloes, or bison, do not, I repeat, do not go stampeding because of an age-old tradition.  They only stampede when they get agitated.  And that's all there is to it.  But what I really despise about this episode is that Pinkie Pie of all the characters speaks on morale grounds and no one takes her performance seriously.  I don't know if it was that everyone thought she was being ditzy or that no one liked the hidden message.  If it was the latter, that would it make it suck even more because it gives the impression that ol' Thunderhooves and Silverstar are peace haters, which I also despise immensely.  Pinkie was in the right the whole time and it took the whole episode for everyone else to finally get it.  Ugh...

3.  The Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000
Don't even get me started on this beast.  Pointless episode, pointless lesson, crummy antagonists, and of course not the kind of apple cider I would drink.  I don't think I need to say anything else.

2.  Ponyville Confidential
Not only is the extent of Diamond Tiara's dark side introduced, but the Cutie Mark Crusaders take the heat of things in this episode, practically facing exile from Ponyville.  What makes the main five friends of The Land Before Time series way better and much more honorable is that they are much quicker to realize their mistakes and are much more forgiving of each other, as they know that staying mad at others doesn't help and it forces us to pay twice for our mistakes and learn the hard way.  And if Diamond Tiara hasn't learned a thing at this point, she never will.  Now here's something about me you might want to understand.  Despite me picking this show apart, I never directly stated that I hate the series nor any of the characters.  It's just nothing more than an indifference.  Believe me, with this show's animation, I want it to get better, but I've seen no visible signs so far, at least in personal opinion.

1.  A Canterlot Wedding
I don't think I need to go over what has made these two episodes the worst in the entire series.  There's hypocrisy, broken realism, terrorist attacks, and friendships betrayed.  And with the magic of friendship itself broken and never able to be healed completely, the continuity of the series at this point is ruined forever.  I seriously think all that has happened to Twilight will haunt her forever, even though things are all patched up for the time being.  The very fact that it has happened once at this late point in the series is liable to scar her for as long as she lives.  You know the old saying that destruction comes a lot easier than creation?  It's exactly like that with friendship.  Everything that was built up so far in the series came crashing down, even if it was only temporary.  It has happened and it will be around forever.  Even if it isn't expressed in later upcoming seasons, I say this very memory has the potent to haunt Twilight for the rest of her life, mainly because she should not be certain it won't happen again.  It happened once, so who's to say it won't?  Know what I mean?

So while the series has superb animation, there are several flaws that make the show not so hot from my eyes.  There's hypocrisy, there's segregation, there's flat-out lies, there's ignorance, there's even scenes of self-depression, which is usually motivation for suicide.  I mean, just think about the fridge horror for a minute.  While Season 3 has a chance to turn this all around, I have a bad inkling that it might not happen, if anytime soon.  And that's a shame because animation is not the only crucial factor that makes for a good cartoon.  Plot and drama can only go so far before we decide "Oh, I just can't watch this shit anymore".

There, there, Twilight.  There's still hope.  If only things weren't so bad, this series would be a lot better than what it is.  Let's hope Season 3 goes down a much smoother road.  But you know, nothing's really up to chance. 

2 comments:

  1. Doesn't it indeed happen again in the 2017 movie?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a new user of this site so here i saw multiple articles and posts posted by this site,I curious more interest in some of them hope you will give more information on this topics in your next articles. https://newsweek.top/tom-cruise-and-tropic-thunder/

    ReplyDelete